[Asrg] Re: "DNS Blacklists Considered Harmful" considered for RFC publication

2005-12-03 14:17:11
Daniel Feenberg wrote:

Is there an official place to register adverse comments?
I took a look at the IETF web site, and couldn't find one.

http://www.ietf.org/IESG/agenda.html section 3.3 mentions
RfC 3932.  Maybe ask Scott Hollenbeck how to do this, he's
one of the area directors for the applications area.

RfC 3932 says:
|      The new review model will have the IESG take responsibility
| ONLY for checking for conflicts between the work of the IETF and the
| documents submitted; soliciting technical review is deemed to be the
| responsibility of the RFC Editor.  If an individual IESG member
| chooses to review the technical content of the document and finds
| issues, that member will communicate these issues to the RFC Editor,
| and they will be treated the same way as comments on the documents
| from other sources.

| Note: This document describes only the review process done by the
| IESG when the RFC Editor requests that review.

If I get this right the IESG can't do much about it, because
there's no WG directly affected by draft-church.  Claiming
that it's related to DNSOPS won't fly.  If an IEG member wants
to review it anyway, (s)he's in the same position as you.

Chapter 4 in 3932 has three "standard IESG notes", 4.1 and 4.2
are already horrible, only 4.3 passes as "irrelevant, but not
really harmful" (my interpretation, ask Harald if that's what
he meant).

If the IESG considers the ASRG as IETF work it could be very
different, but AFAIK the IRTF is _not_ part of the IETF (?).

The ASRG belongs to the IRTF.  That's why "we" sometimes have
silly problems like RFC 3934, is using 3934 here an option, or
mandatory. or beside the point, or what else.

For a different attack vector:  Just post what you think on the
rfc-interest list, then it's at least "on record":

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.rfc.interest (not really IETF,
only the local name on GMaNe, like gmane.ietf.asrg)  Bye, Frank