Re: [Asrg] Why ISACS will proliferate even if you don't like it.

2006-01-30 00:04:02
On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 12:59:37AM -0500, Michael Kaplan wrote

http://home.nyc.rr.com/spamsolution/An%20Effective%20Solution%20for%20Spam.htm

I am not asking if you like ISACS, or if you think bounces are
appropriate.  I am asking if it will work; any other issue regarding
ISACS can be discussed after this question is answered.

  How often do we have to pound on it... *ANY* spam-reflector that
bounce-challenges spam, when you damn well know that most spam has
forged sender addresses, is itself spam.  The reason it's important is
because people will respond by blocking any source of spam they can.

  If that source of spam is the MTA of a particular ISP that uses ISACS,
then that MTA will get blocked by other people.  ISACS will *NOT* work,
because one side-effect of its implementation is that it doesn't really
stop spam; ISACS deflects spam at innocent 3rd parties, who in turn will
blacklist ISACS users, if not their ISPs.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca