Re: [Asrg] Supplemental addresses (was: Indirection as a useful tool)

2006-02-07 23:06:07
On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:07:59AM +0100, Brian Azzopardi wrote

Isn't this (an over engineered) auto-whitelist?

  Actually, that's what I use it for, and I think it's good idea.  I
have a personal domain.  I have a remote account that allows 10 email
addresses, *WITH SEPARATE FILTERING RULES ON EACH ONE*.  After using up
abuse, postmaster, the domain contact, and my main ID "waltdnes", that
leaves me with 6 addresses to play with.

  I use a long (hopefully) unguessable userid(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org for my
subscription to an "internet radio" service.  That address does *NOT*
have any spam blocking, so there's no way that newsletters or customer
service messages from them get blocked.

  Quite a few ISPs offer multiple addresses as part of the base package.
They can be used in the same manner.

  The advantage of multiple addresses is that email that *MUST* get
through can be given a free pass, while email from strangers can run the
gauntlet of spam-blocking checks.  More stringent filtering *AND* fewer
false-positives... that's definitely "win-win".

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca