Re: [Asrg] Re: A Technique for Universal Authentication

2006-09-03 15:30:33
I accept the fact that many individuals feel very passionately about the
auto-reply issue but I hope you would acknowledge that your sentiment is a
minority position not shared by a vast number of reputable top email
companies that frequently enable it in one fashion or another.

No, we will not acknowledge that because it is not true.  We all know
that Exchange has a widely despised "I'm out of the office so come rob
my house" feature, but it's hardly the only bad idea you'll find in
Microsoft's mail software.

AOL has spent quite a lot of time and money reworking their mail
system so it does NOT send bounces and other auto-response messages,
but instead rejects undeliverable mail with SMTP 5xx codes.  This is
precisely because of the spam blowback problems we have all been
telling you about.

In any event, as you surely know, the IETF's motto is rough consensus
and running code.  Go write some running code and tell us how it
works.  I hear that Thunderbird plugins aren't all that hard to write.

R's,
John