Re: [Asrg] Round one modifications to DNSBL BCP draft.

2008-04-08 19:39:25
J D Falk wrote:
Seth wrote:

I suppose there ought to be support for queries of the type "Please
show all listings in this IP range" to make like easier for network
providers to search.

When network providers want to know this, they tend to email the DNSBL
operator and ask -- but that kind of interaction appears to be out of
scope for this document.

There's a little bit being done in this area - a few (Spamcop I think,
and one or two more) DNSBLs provide a method by which admin can register
(perhaps one or more ranges etc) and get periodically email-notified of
listings.

That would be a nice-to-have for particular types of listings, but
there's not enough "current practise" to be common enough to be "best".

Note, however, there are alternatives that don't require much of the
DNSBL operator:

The "are you listed?" monitoring systems will query a set of IPs you
give them, and notify you of DNSBL hits.  Habeus runs one of these.
Virtually all of those do this for a fee, and unfortunately, monitoring
more than a handful of IPs this way is prohibitively expensive - ISPs
trying to get notification on whole pools are out of luck.

Meng's Karmasphere I _think_ offers this service, and it may not charge
a fee.

Any DNSBL that does zone downloads can be downloaded and scanned using
grepcidr.  I've suggested that in a couple of cases to ISPs trying to
proactively fix customers in large lists like the CBL where doing
queries is impractical.  For those going to the effort of fixing
customers that way find that it works fairly well.