Re: [Asrg] The state of the email system

2008-11-18 12:36:59
If my phone were fitted with secure caller id
Does that exist yet?
I've no idea.

Secure?  Against what?

Caller-ID is secure against a number of threats.  It's insecure against
another bunch.  (It's heading in the less-secure direction; the height
of the barriers against injecting random CLID are getting lower all the
time.)

Last I checked, convincingly spoofing caller ID is one of the fun
things you can do when you start fiddling with
asterisk/freeswitch/etc

Yes and no.  Asterisk and its ilk let you set caller-ID to whatever you
please, yes, but for it to be of any use for forging caller-ID in the
sense relevant here, your uplink to the PSTN has to accept and pass
along the caller-ID you set - an uplink willing to do that is the real
barrier.  (Access to such uplinks is steadily becoming cheaper, which
is why I say the barriers are getting lower.  For example, I have such
access, but most of my friends either don't have such access or don't
know how to use it if they do.)

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse(_at_)rodents-montreal(_dot_)org