Re: [Asrg] where the message originated (was: DKIM role?) (SM)

2009-01-23 08:05:14

--On 21 January 2009 08:12:09 -0800 Dave CROCKER <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:

Ian Eiloart wrote:
It's not interesting who publishes SPF records.

It's interesting who reads them.

That depends on whether you're deciding whether to publish them, or
whether to read them.

For the purpose of assessing Internet utility, consumption is a better
indicator than publication.

Like I said, you need both. But, I'm not interested in "Internet utility", whatever that might be. I'm interested in utility to me. I presume that what's useful to me might also be useful to some others.

I understood this thread to be discussing utility.

There are many kinds.

Publication without consumption has zero utility.  So does consumption
without publication, of course, but if there is a community wishing to
consume, there will almost certainly come to be a community doing the
publication.

Except that there's no obvious way to advertise the fact that you're consuming. We know that there's widespread publication. We don't know whether there's widespread consumption - unless someone has stats gathered from DNS servers. Even if we had stats from DNS servers, it's hard to know what anyone is doing with the information. Widespread selective whitelisting would be hard to detect, for example.

In contrast we've had ample demonstration that that publication does not
have any automatic implication about consumption.

d/

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex