Re: [Asrg] where the message originated (was: DKIM role?) (SM)

2009-01-16 13:01:12
At 03:45 16-01-2009, Ian Eiloart wrote:
Now, what I'm suggesting (not advocating yet, because I'm not certain that this is right), is that when there's no SPF record published, that we should not feel too bad about bouncing email because the domain administrator isn't taking adequate steps to protect the domain against spam blowback, and against phishing. Of course, I'm NOT suggesting that lack of an SPF record should score very high in any any spamicity measure, but it might count for something.

What does SPF have to do with phishing?

I prefer to take adequate steps to prevent "invalid" bounces. It helps me if the postmaster takes adequate steps for me to determine what is valid. Some people do not use SPF due to its restrictions on email usage.

Now, an SPF or DKIM match gives us the huge gain that we can bounce messages selectively based on the content. Some recipients may not want certain message content, but by the

DKIM-signed messages coming through this mailing list cannot be verified.

Regards,
-sm