Re: [Asrg] where the message originated (was: DKIM role?) (SM)

2009-01-26 15:54:40
On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 22:12 -0500, Paul Russell wrote:
Exchange parses an inbound DSN to identify every address for which delivery
status information is provided, then pre-pends the entire DSN with boilerplate
text for every address in the DSN, regardless of the specific status code and
text for that address.

In my current experience, it's *Outlook* which does the
mangling/prepending/call-it-what-you-will.

In $dayjob we run Outlook as the supported desktop client (both 2k3 and
2k7) against a non-MS backend groupware server. When I see, using
Outlook 2k7, bounces arrive to our role account handling most of the
postmaster guff, I very briefly see the original MTA-provided bounce
message in my viewing pane. After a split second this is replaced by the
MS-ified version, rendering the item almost completely worthless.

I'd put money on Outlook having a DLL included which decodes the message
and does the metaphorical email equivalent of "It looks like you're
writing a letter!" for the DSN. If I view the messages in Thunderbird,
or Evolution, or any other sane(ish) MUA they display as expected - MIME
parts, in order or as attachments.

Unfortunately I know so little about Windows that debugging this
behaviour is all but impossible.

You can tar Exchange with many brushes, but apparently not this one - it
looks very much like client behaviour to me; that said it's quite rare
to see Outlook in "groupware" mode not using Exchange as the backend so
I can understand the confluence of data.

Graeme