Re: [Asrg] where the message originated (was: DKIM role?) (SM)

2009-01-20 15:02:28
Peter J. Holzer wrote:

I assume with "reject message" you mean the text in a 5xx reply, and
with "mangle reject message" you mean "doesn't include the complete
reject message in the DSN it generates, and/or adds a confusing
"explanation" (like "Recipient doesn't exist" for "550 Message from
61.251.173.243 rejected, because it is listed in  XBL/CBL.").

I also see exchange spitting back "site didn't give a reason", and then
there's the full reason string (including SMTP extended error codes)
further down.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Does anyone know
of an MTA that mangles bounce messages in its default configuration?

Lotus Domino. It removes the first (human-readable) part of any RFC 3462
conforming DSN and replaces it with a "user-friendly" explanation, which
usually has nothing to do with the problem. It also completely mangles
the Received lines in the third part (the headers of the bounced
message). At least it leaves the second part alone so you usually know
why the message was rejected, unless you are already confused by the 1st
part (which most users are). [If anybody knows how that can be turned
off, please tell me - it's driving me nuts]

We've also seen Exchange replacing site names in DSNs that were
_manually_forwarded_.  Same DSN, when manually forwarded to two
different places (one with Exchange, one without) are _different_.
Exchange (2007 methinks, not sure) substitutes in its own server name.
Makes you freak out when it's a DSN for an email that NEVER went
anywhere near your servers and had nothing to do with you.

[IOW: something like: user sends email from Yahoo to MSN, and gets a
bounce.  Forwards it to me for explanation, and the enclosed DSNs say
_our_ server issued the bounce.  WTF?]