Re: [Asrg] where the message originated (was: DKIM role?) (SM)

2009-01-26 16:31:35
Graeme Fowler wrote:
On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 22:12 -0500, Paul Russell wrote:
Exchange parses an inbound DSN to identify every address for which delivery
status information is provided, then pre-pends the entire DSN with
boilerplate
text for every address in the DSN, regardless of the specific status code and
text for that address.

In my current experience, it's *Outlook* which does the
mangling/prepending/call-it-what-you-will.

Unless this is a different "issue", in our case the DSN mangling _has_
to be being done in Exchange.  I'm running Thunderbird, and (some)
inbound DSNs get mangled.  I don't think the MUA knows enough about or
infrastructure to mangle it the way we see it ("reporting MTAs"
completely unrelated to us being replaced with internal servers).

I suspect it's simple "oh yeah, this is a DSN.  I'll report it as a DSN
- I'm the "reporter" now", not realizing that "Reporting MTA" _should_
be the server who reports the initial error, not umpty-ump intermediate
servers regenerating the same DSN.