Re: [Asrg] where the message originated (was: DKIM role?) (SM)

2009-01-15 09:58:17

--On 12 January 2009 12:58:28 -0500 der Mouse <mouse(_at_)Rodents-Montreal(_dot_)ORG> wrote:

However, I do think that it's time that domain owners started taking
responsibility for the use of their domains.

If I, say, were to forge mail from your domain to, say, some ibm.com
user, would you take responsibility for it?  That's what you seem to me
to be saying.

Not quite, but not far off. I'm not taking responsibility for your decision to forge the domain. However, I AM responsible for the fact that IBM have no easy way to detect that forgery. I SHOULD accept that IBM are therefore more likely to bounce that email back to me.

   When a spammer forges my domain, and the recipient bounces the message,
they're doing what SMTP is designed to do. I shouldn't get pissed off with
   the recipient, if I've failed to publish records that allow them to
   check for forgeries.

What I should take responsibility for is publishing records that let IBM easily check whether the email is legitimate. For example, if I publish SPF records, and sign all my outgoing mail with DKIM, and require my users to use my Message Submission Service, then I think I've discharged that responsibility.

Having taken those actions (actually, I haven't but this is hypthetical), I'm quite happy to accept any bounce messages from IBM - provided they've checked for an SPF or DKIM record match before accepting the message.

Now, given that I haven't yet published SPF or DKIM records, I still get lots of spam bounced into my domain. Who do I blame? Well, in part it's my responsibility for failing to help the spam recipients. If I did publish those records, then recipient domains could more easily detect forgeries out of my domain.

SPF records would be useful because you can check them early, and cheaply. DKIM give senders the opportunity to get messages through forwarders.

Now, what I'm suggesting (not advocating yet, because I'm not certain that this is right), is that when there's no SPF record published, that we should not feel too bad about bouncing email because the domain administrator isn't taking adequate steps to protect the domain against spam blowback, and against phishing. Of course, I'm NOT suggesting that lack of an SPF record should score very high in any any spamicity measure, but it might count for something.

Now, an SPF or DKIM match gives us the huge gain that we can bounce messages selectively based on the content. Some recipients may not want certain message content, but by the time we've seen the content SMTP doesn't allow us to selectively reject. And, a pass allows us to confidently whitelist a domain or sender address without opening up a huge hole in our spam defences. For example, I've refused to whitelist UK academic research boards because they don't publish SPF records.

Now, the question is, what do we do when we see an SPF softfail, and no DKIM record? Well, at first I'd be reluctant to bounce the message, because I want to reward admins that are taking steps to protect their domains. However, that's not something that I'd be happy with on a permanent basis. Eventually, I want the world to be in a position where all forwarders check SPF on the way in, and rewrite sender domains. When we're sufficiently advanced in that project, then bouncing softfail would be more acceptable.

No SPF record:
SPF fail: reject the message at SMTP time.
SPF softfail: check DKIM
SPF pass: accept if you trust the domain, otherwise do other spam checks. You can reject, bounce or accept depending on other spam checks. Importantly, you can bounce PER RECIPIENT depending on the content, which you can't do with SMTP rejections.

In a world where you *can* prevent abuse of your domain, what's wrong
with bouncing email?

Depends on what that prevention requires.  ("Sure you can prevent abuse
of your domain.  You just need to enter into a bilateral agreement with
every receiving mailhost on the net.")

No, you just need to sign your outgoing email, and publish SPF records.

I know, someone's going to tell me that SPF breaks forwarding. Well email is already broken. I get up to a million spam messages into my domain daily. Everything we do to prevent spam causes problems ranging from additional load on our DNS servers to loss of important emails. The question is, are we going to fix it? I think what I'm proposing would at least allow people to do safe whitelisting

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex