Re: [Asrg] where the message originated (was: DKIM role?) (SM)

2009-01-12 07:51:26

--On 12 January 2009 07:28:33 -0500 Rich Kulawiec <rsk(_at_)gsp(_dot_)org>
wrote:

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:33:23AM +0000, Ian Eiloart wrote:
can prevent abuse of their domains (SPF and DKIM). Therefore, we should
feel free to bounce email to any domain owner the doesn't deploy SPF and
 DKIM - in order to encourage them to do so. Of course, bouncing email
is   also OK when you find an SPF or DKIM match.

This is utter nonsense, of course.  It is *never* acceptable to
deliberately generate or redirect spam.  I'm appalled to find anyone
recommending such a clearly abusive course of action.

Well, I should clarify that I'm not recommending it, or doing it. However, I do think that it's time that domain owners started taking responsibility for the use of their domains. The technology exists, and it would have the direct benefit to them that collateral spam back to their domains was reduced.

In a world where you *can* prevent abuse of your domain, what's wrong with bouncing email?

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex