Re: [Asrg] About that e-postage draft [POSTAGE]

2009-02-18 12:37:59
Benjamin April wrote:
My main concern here is that allowing the receiving MTA to validate the
token offers a false sense of authority. We now know it is far easier
than originally expected to create a "fake" signing cert.

It was never intended to be anything other than trivial to create a signing cert. But just because I can create a signing cert, doesn't mean that anyone else is going to recognize it.

With SSL, the fact that you create a signing cert doesn't mean any browser software is going to accept it as valid. With e-postage, sensible recipients will have a policy of not accepting unknown postage vendors by default. Just as browsers have lists of signing certs they accept, so e-mail MTAs and/or client software will have lists of signing certs they accept.

I would imagine that to get your cert onto the standard list for a common MTA, you'd need to demonstrate that you actually paid out the postage and weren't just committing fraud. Much as you won't get added to the default cert list for Firefox if you irresponsibly sign any SSL key presented to you.

I see this as a big issue.  I would find having to go to the post office
every time I needed a stamp insane. By using opaque tokens you could buy
a selection of tokens in advance and dispense them on demand.

The only reason having to go to the post office every time you need to buy a stamp is insane, is that the post office is a physical entity you have to travel to.

Millions of people buy e-postage from the USPS every day, in order to ship stuff they sell on eBay. They go to the online post office every time they need to obtain and print a stamp. So there's a real world example showing that it's not an unworkable way of doing things.

I don't know if the USPS makes their e-postage codes dependent on the address you're sending to, but clearly they *could* without breaking the way ordinary people use the service or making it unworkable. It would actually be an interesting experiment to try cutting up two USPS e-postage labels, switching the bar codes around, and seeing if the items still got delivered properly...

mathew