Re: [Asrg] A Vouch By Feedback proposal

2009-07-07 16:15:23
Alessandro Vesely wrote:

Vouch By Feedback could be a useful modification of the Vouch By
Reference standard, if it didn't break its installed base.

What installed base?

VBF adds a DNS record pointing from the vouched domain to the vouching
server email address. It could be an RP RR type, where the address is
meant to receive the message/feedback-report (AFR) complaints. Web
is-spam buttons direct reports to the ESP, who should forward them to
any sender's vouching service. Clients who implement FBLs might send
them to the relevant voucher directly.

Variations of this theme have been discussed dozens of times, always trying to piggyback on some other technology: SPF (which doesn't make sense), DKIM (which almost makes sense), et cetera.

The problem, unfortunately, is that the use cases are unclear. I'd recommend starting by defining those cases -- not merely "I want to send complaints about spam" or "I want to receive complaints so my mail doesn't get blocked," but every possible permutation, end-to-end.

It could make for an interesting research project.

> Vouchers, in turn, shall forward
reports to the accountable originating ESP. The latter shall ban guilty
users from sending for an amount of time proportional to the number of
complaints. If the voucher sees complaints against users who should have
been banned from sending, it shall suspend its vouching service for the
relevant sender.

Here you're getting out of the technology, and into dictating behavior. I wouldn't be surprised if the agreements between message sender, voucher, and message receiver end up looking something like what you describe, but the technology should be agnostic and let those three parties make any agreement they feel is appropriate for their individual situations.

--
J.D. Falk
Return Path Inc