Re: [Asrg] A Vouch By Feedback proposal

2009-07-08 04:48:49
Alessandro Vesely wrote:
J.D. Falk wrote:
Here you're getting out of the technology, and into dictating
behavior. I wouldn't be surprised if the agreements between message
sender, voucher, and message receiver end up looking something like
what you describe, but the technology should be agnostic and let those
three parties make any agreement they feel is appropriate for their
individual situations.

Agreed. In that respect, a voucher can mandate that behavior even using
the existing VBR standard. Only the destination of complaints deserves
further standardization. Standard AFR is on its way, isn't it?

Dictating behavior should be done by lawmakers, of course. However, they
cannot write the standards, and may encounter difficulties even in
identifying the items that populate cyberspace. It seems a somewhat
tighter cooperation is required in order to sort out an effective
anti-spam regulation.

I think this is a point that needs clarification, but maybe this has
already been discussed in some previous thread. Many of the protocols
proposed here seem to provide accountability. Accountability is not, per
se, an antispam solution. Accountability + some e.g. banning enforcement
mechanism can be. Unless enforcement is an automatic and trivial
consequence of the protocol, I think that it is appropriate to discuss
how it can be achieved and realistic. Otherwise, we could end up with
completely useless protocols. I would dare to say that if enforcement
were trivial, we wouldn't have botnets, which are already illegal.
So I think it was appropriate for Alessandro to describe at least one
way the accountability can be used for enforcement, and thus as
antispam, since it makes a lot of difference if enforcement is expected
to be between ESP and ESP, between an ESP and its customers, between law
enforcement agencies and ESPs, or between law enforcement agencies and
the citizens.

--

Claudio Telmon
claudio(_at_)telmon(_dot_)org