Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-02-04 12:09:42
On 02/03/2010 08:39 PM, John Levine wrote:
Would it really be such a sin to just pretend that POP3 doesn't
exist/matter? It is a pretty primitive mechanism, after all. Not
everything needs to be a 100% solution to be useful.

Well, heck, we could just tell everyone to switch to web mail and we'd
already be done.

There are a whole lot of people picking up their mail using POP from a
whole lot of mail systems.  Disks are cheap but they are not free, and
many ISPs do not want to host the permanent mailstore for their users.
I agree we don't need a 100% solution, but we really need at least a
50% solution.

50%? ::snort::

In any case it hardly matters because POP3 and IMAP are completely different
protocols with different constituencies. You'd never have a standards effort
that lumps them together in a million years, and even if you did you'd do
nothing more than needlessly confuse the programmers of their respective
code bases.

So IMAP could be done really fast and simply, while POP3 -- assuming there's
any constituency at all to push for it -- could lumber along at its own pace.

Mike