Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-02-05 12:01:16

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, Steve Atkins wrote:

On Feb 5, 2010, at 4:09 AM, Daniel Feenberg wrote:

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Chris Lewis wrote:

John Levine wrote:
In any case it hardly matters because POP3 and IMAP are completely different
protocols with different constituencies. You'd never have a standards effort
that lumps them together in a million years, and even if you did you'd do
nothing more than needlessly confuse the programmers of their respective
code bases.
Actually, we've seen a reasonable suggestion a few messages back that
would work equally well with POP and IMAP: extract a reporting address
from the message and send it an ARF report.  It has the admirable
characteristic of being completely agnostic about how the mail is
delivered, since there are plenty of delivery techniques other than
POP and IMAP, such as WebDAV, uucp (still handy for intermittent
connections), fetchmail, and just reading the local mailstore.

If we want to sidestep the issue of how to deal with senders wanting their
FBLs, the very simplest method of all is to have the TiS button send an ARF to
a specific address, and let that address figure out everything else.

I could live with that even in my odd-ball architecture (which probably
resembles other very large infrastructures).  I already do that (without the
ARF format), and the recipient address has to be manually configured in the MUA.

I'd only add that I'd prefer _not_ to have to have the user configure the MUA
where to send the ARFs to.  The receiving mail server inserts it.  Meaning that
the MUA has to be able to determine it's valid.

I haven't been following this thread very closely, but why not just establish a standard role account on the
MUAs designated POP or IMAP server? Such as arf(_at_)pop(_dot_)example(_dot_)com? It effectively
"preconfigures" the MUA since "arf" is standard and "example.com" is already
known to the MUA. The less configuration the better, I think.

POP and IMAP servers don't receive email. If you're planning on mandating that all POP or IMAP servers listen on port 587, that's a fairly big requirement.

Mail to arf(_at_)pop(_dot_)eample(_dot_)com may go to the host named example.com, or it may go to a host of any other name given in the MX statement for example.com. There is no requirement that pop.example.com host an MTA at all. Am I missing something or are you teasing me?

Furthermore, there can be no expectation that all email domains will support this protocol - so my expectation is that all email domains that wish to support this protocol for users receiving mail from pop or imap(_at_)example(_dot_)com must have an MTA somewhere that can accept mail for arf(_at_)[pop|imap}.example.com. If there is a domain somewhere that wishes to support the protocol, but does not wish to use the naming convention, then they would be left out in the cold. I don't see that as a very big concern.

The desire to eliminate all naming conventions strikes me as pointless - they are widespread and quite helpful in my experience. From localhost to 127.0.0.1, to postmaster and abuse what is the downside? Someone may wish to use "localhost" as a hostname? Did they miss the IETF meeting? Then they are out of luck. In any case, at somepoint there has to be a convention, all the protocol can do is add levels of indirection.

Daniel Feenberg

Or are you suggesting something MXish or SRVish (which isn't implausible, though it's got the usual namespace pollution problems to dodge)?

Cheers,
 Steve