Re: [Asrg] Generally workable ways of adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-02-09 06:09:08

--On 8 February 2010 16:44:18 +0100 Alessandro Vesely <vesely(_at_)tana(_dot_)it> wrote:

On 08/Feb/10 13:22, Ian Eiloart wrote:
[...] I'm simply claiming that the problem
isn't a single problem (1. "how to report junk messages"). It's two
problems: "2. how to report junk messages to an IMAP mailstore operator"
and "3. how to report junk messages to a POP mailstore operator".

Ian, it seems to me that your feeling for problem #2 causes a
misrepresentation of problem #3. I'd express them as

   Problem A: report spam for complaining (was #3)

   Problem B: tune servers' filters (was #2)

I don't think it's useful to try and solve both of them at the same time.

I'm completely confused by this message. I really don't understand at all what it is that you're saying. Problem B is about how you handle reports once you have them. I don't understand what "Problem A: report spam for complaining" means at all.

Are you saying that POP3 managers will process reports differently than IMAP managers will? My guess is that the value of the reports will be similar, and the actions taken as a result will be similar. Whether POP or IMAP, the actions to take might include tuning filters; passing complaints back down the delivery path; feeding local or shared reputation services, etc.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex