Re: [Asrg] Summary of junk button discussion

2010-02-25 04:59:55

--On 25 February 2010 05:45:46 +0000 John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I find it too restrictive to call this a "junk button" as this mechanism
can be used more widely than just this way.

Ah, well that's a different question. This particular discussion is
about  how to get reports from the user to the administrator of the
system. How  the user triggers the report is an exercise for the MUA
programmers, but  we've been thinking that it's likely to be a button
labelled "junk".

Having talked to a fair number of ISPs who provide junk buttons, none of
them thought that more buttons would help.  Users don't distinguish among
all the reasons they might not want a message, and asking them to do so
is more likely to get random answers or no answers than good ones.

Well, maybe that's true. But have you talked to Twitter, or anyone else who has actually tried it. I haven't, but Twitter do provide two buttons: one to block and one to report. It's not exactly the same, but it's there.

Apart from that, we're not actually creating these buttons, are we? We're defining a reporting mechanism. My view is that it's better to have a richer vocabulary defined, and allow implementers to chose which parts to use.

In fact, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation (well, I wouldn't!) if a few more IMAP flags had been provided for these purposes.

The only think other than a junk button that appears useful is a
not-junk button to display when looking at stuff in a junk folder.

 I suppose we could do that, but then we'd have to define what a junk
folder is.  Or if we do this with a header applied by the MDA, it could
have a flag hinting which way the junk flag is set now.

R's,
John

Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex