Re: [Asrg] Spam Salt, an email sender authentication mechanism

2010-09-28 12:13:59

On 9/27/2010 10:23 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
Is there any chance new people with some ideas could be given some quarter
and perhaps some mentoring by those of us who've been around for a while
rather than bullied into putting their innovative energies elsewhere?

Stray question: if someone showed up in a senior research environment for an activity that has a long history and then said that they had created a mechanism that greatly reduced computational overhead for large-scale data activity and it turned out merely to be a basic hashing algorithm, would you be equally concerned that they be treated delicately?

Stated differently: Are there reasonable expectations that should apply to participants, in terms of their doing prior due diligence? If they fail to do it, is the group prohibited from expressing unhappiness at having its time wasted?

Calling someone an asshole crosses a line, pretty much no matter the content or the people.

Telling someone that they need to do their homework before presenting a 'solution' strikes me as merely appropriate. Telling them this in a way that indicates pique at their having been immature in their effort might, itself, be immature, but really, it is little more than scolding a wayward child.

IMO.

d/

ps. Over the course of my career and especially in the early years, I've been that wayward -- ie, arrogant and ignorant -- child many times and while being scolded stung, it was deserved.

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking