Re: [Asrg] draft-levine-iprangepub-01

2011-01-04 15:03:33
Thanks for the summary.

The current DNSxL protocol SHOULD support ranges of no-data
information, given properly implemented NXDOMAIN handling and
presentation of the appropriate glue.

I don't think this is right, unless you're assuming that DNS caches
will do stuff they don't do now.

This means that a list query library would start with the full query and
work its way up until it gets a result, and the NXDOMAIN at the appropriate
part of the glue determination process will prevent the too-long queries
from reaching the server, as they will be handled by the cache server.

You might want to try this with a few caches.  I'd be surprised if
they synthesized answers for subdomains of NXDOMAIN entries.  I just
tried it with dnscache from djbdns, and it doesn't.

R's,
John