Re: [Asrg] NXDOMAIN cache behavior, was draft-levine-iprangepub-01

2011-01-04 19:55:12
In article <4D239B6B(_dot_)2070304(_at_)nortel(_dot_)com> you write:
On 1/4/2011 4:03 PM, John Levine wrote:

You might want to try this with a few caches.  I'd be surprised if
they synthesized answers for subdomains of NXDOMAIN entries.  I just
tried it with dnscache from djbdns, and it doesn't.

After having used dnscache for quite a while, with, er, not very
satisfactory performance results[+], it might be worth while retrying
the experiment with bind and/or, say, unbound (which is what I use now)
which are better suited to heavy iron caching.

Grumble.  I'll build unbound and see what it does, but I would be
rather surprised if the results were any different.  The DNS crowd
has dislikes synthesizing answers, even in cases like this where
you can argue that the synthesized answer should be correct.

R's,
John