Re: [Asrg] draft-levine-iprangepub-01

2011-01-04 16:13:21
On 1/4/2011 4:03 PM, John Levine wrote:

You might want to try this with a few caches.  I'd be surprised if
they synthesized answers for subdomains of NXDOMAIN entries.  I just
tried it with dnscache from djbdns, and it doesn't.

After having used dnscache for quite a while, with, er, not very satisfactory performance results[+], it might be worth while retrying the experiment with bind and/or, say, unbound (which is what I use now) which are better suited to heavy iron caching.

While dnscache may indeed be quite popular at the smallish scale it don't do well at the medium to very large end. Which means that the problems it may represent for IPv6 caching may be common on a per-site level, but not common at a sheer volume level, and may not matter _that_ much overall.

[+] The reasons as to why are OT, but I can elaborate if necessary.