Re: [Asrg] please review draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-07

2011-01-19 10:18:16
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:52 PM, John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

I agree that this isn't a great place for a justification of DNS
distribution of BL/WL beyond the obvious fact that we've done it that
way since 1997, and there isn't anything else available off the shelf
that will do a lookup in a single UDP round trip and has widely
deployed caches.

Here's a draft extended version of the introduction:

"The rising amount of spam and other forms of network abuse on the
Internet led to sys-admins compiling lists of sources from which
e-mail was usually undesired. As DNS provides quick distribution of
fine-grained updates and performs lookups in a single UDP round trip
and only as needed, many community members and companies began to
share their data through creation, publish and maintainence of
DNS-based reputation systems. These "DNS-Based Lists" of IP addresses
or domain names contain entries with reputation ratings useful as
suggestions or assertions about e-mail originating from these IP
addresses or domain names."

END OF REVISED PARAGRAPH

But wait, there's more!

Furthermore, there apparently exist back-channels for mirroring the
whole database that are currently in use in high-volume situations.
Perhaps that deserves a mention? A new section on sharing one's list
via methods other than DNS?