Re: [Asrg] please review draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-07

2011-01-19 15:00:34
On 1/19/2011 1:49 PM, David Nicol wrote:

I will not be silenced by creative use of violent imagery!

Canadians? Violence? Michael Moore says there's no crime here, so it can't be so ;-)

[2.2.5] be changed?  It looks okay to me, as long as we are painfully,
explicitly clear that the "users" are sys-admins and not end-users.

I think it is, isn't it?

The thing is, the random self-selected guy doesn't have all the power
he says he has. Were he honest, instead of "your bacon was horrible,
pay me money or I'll shut you down" he would be threatening "your
bacon was horrible, pay me money or I'll list you on my list of places
where I didn't like the bacon."

In the DNSBL world, a popular blacklist listing can cause more than 50% of their email to get blocked in such a way that most recipients don't know that it's happening. They've abruptly disappeared email-wise, for a huge chunk of the Internet. This is far more than midway between an end-user advisory that an end-user can choose to ignore or accept, and a health-department mandated door shutting.

A good example of real-life reputation listing services are lists
that, for instance, enumerate places that were not able to satisfy
requirements of a food intolerance.

Such as this whitelist:
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=gluten+free&find_loc=Chicago,+IL

The phraseology I used was for blacklists, not whitelists, these are end-user advisories that can be ignored/accepted by the end-user, and do they take kickbacks? ;-)

Do you know of negative advisories that take money for delistings of entities that _didn't_ subscribe to the advisory service? I don't, except for the criminal code ;-)