Re: [Asrg] ipv6 macro expansion example in SPF specification, DNS ranges...

2011-01-25 10:40:33
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 06:21:11PM -0800, Paul Ferguson wrote:
While I'm just catching up on this thread, I can also chime in that --
as far as I can tell, neither spf or dkim has had any impact on spam,
at least from what I can determine.

If that was the original intent of spf and/or dkim, then I would be
inclined to say that neither have properly addressed the spam problem.

I emphatically concur: SPF and DKIM have no anti-spam value.

(And given that SPF was introduced with the thus-far unretracted claim:
        "Spam as a technical problem is solved by SPF."
I think it's quite fair to say that its original intent was anti-spam.)

As to whether has an impact on forgeries: that depends on what one
considers a "forgery".  My own view that is that both (as well as any
other similar schemes) *may* have some applicability on a local level,
but not at the scale of the entire Internet.  And that's not because of
any inherent issues with them: the problem is insoluble at the moment
no matter what technology is used, because of the underlying persistent
and systemic security issues.  But as I said, this depends on what one
considers a "forgery" and those using different definitions than mine
may find DKIM useful in that context.

---rsk