Re: [Asrg] What is Reputation Service

2011-01-26 11:01:31
Alessandro Vesely <vesely(_at_)tana(_dot_)it> wrote:

I propose to use the term "reputation" for the value upon which one
decides whether to send an abuse report to the relevant entity.

   For many of us, that's the null set.

   (I propose that abuse reports are useful when sent to a reputation
service by a customer of that service, and leave others to argue
whether they have any value beyond that. Thus I'm going to hang onto
the name "reputation service" for any such service.)

   Now, I'd be happy to use the term "vouching service" for something
determining whether abuse reports would be helpful.

   My experience, BTW, shows them to hardly ever be helpful (except to
a limited number of SMTP-sending domains, for which the occasion to
send one is rather rare).

(Contrast that with deferring or rejecting mail from it.)

   I agree, it's a different animal.

   And I would agree, knowing when an abuse report will help _would_
be nice -- I'm just not holding my breath.

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>