Re: [Asrg] Rough consensus on pay to delist

2011-03-07 04:54:05
I'm joining the bandwagon late it seems. Please note my opinions do not in any way reflect the opinions of my Employer.

The ISP I work for went through major expansion of our network in the last 2 years. We got our own address space, issued many of these to our ADSL customers and had to also, of course, self-manage the network. Very quickly UCEPROTECT had us listed because we blundered. We didn't pay. We saw how fruitless this would be, so we fixed the issue by installing spam filtering on port 25. This worked and now only the spam filter server gets listed every now and again, which we're happy to leave for 7 days. We tell our customers to use port 587 with Authentication. As a result the majority of the mail reaching our filter system is blocked as spam and only a small amount of actual spam leaves the network.

Despite being on the "receiving end" of UCEPROTECT I feel no ill towards them, except as a reminder of how easy it is for poor technical implementation to result in spam being sent out. It was our fault.

While I don't like the idea that UCEPROTECT makes money from express delistings, I feel this is outside the scope of RFC and technical BCP documents. Yes, when a company makes money by "extortion" (and I use this term VERY loosely here) its a damned good idea to make their listing criteria publically available. However I don't see this being relevant except for the case of legal proceeding, again, IMHO outside the scope of the document being discussed.