Re: [Asrg] Greylisting BCP

2011-10-24 03:34:32
-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-bounces(_at_)irtf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-bounces(_at_)irtf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Douglas Otis
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:39 PM
To: asrg(_at_)irtf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Greylisting BCP

Grey listing challenges stateful processing of the sender to test an
often erroneous assumption that bots sending spam don't maintain state.
Thanks to grey listing, many bots retry against the same recipients,
just not always with the same message.

That doesn't sound like a "retry" to me, in the MTA queueing sense.  For your
claim to be true, it would mean bots institute MTA-style queue-and-retry
systems, but that substantially increases the footprint on the infected
machine.  It's been my impression that their reluctance to do this is precisely
why greylisting is perceived to be effective.