Re: [Asrg] RFC 6471 and "listing the Internet" as a punishment

2012-01-31 15:50:12
On 1/27/12 4:51 PM, Dave Warren wrote:
On 1/26/2012 10:27 AM, Douglas Otis wrote:
To support touted performance feature, chrome aggressively resolves links in advance. This strategy makes chrome sensitive to DNS performance. Cache in their recursive resolvers is kept current ahead of requests. People addicted to speed. ;^)

I might be being argumentative for it's own sake (sorry), but doesn't this make Chrome less sensitive to DNS performance rather than more sensitive?

With a browser that doesn't pre-cache DNS lookups, the user is aware of DNS latency every time they click a link and with every resource that the browser loads from a different domain. Conversely, with caching, in most cases pre-caching every link on a page will take longer than it takes the user to find a link and click on it even if the DNS cache is extremely slow.

Now I'd agree that faster DNS servers makes a noticeable difference when browsing since many websites load content from a dozen or more hostname, but I'd argue that Chrome's precaching makes it less sensitive to slow DNS queries.
Dear Dave,

When DNS transactions attempt to include all possible choices, necessary transactions are at a greater risk of being queued, rather than being ready in advance. Chrome offers a switch setting to disable this behavior that may actually result in reduced performance.

Regards,
Doug Otis