Re: [Asrg] DNSBL and IPv6

2012-10-25 09:24:44
On 10/25/2012 10:11 AM, John Levine wrote:
but I think we can come up with some plausible scenarios.

One thing that is harmless and which should be promoted now is the
exclusive use of IPv6 addresses for authenticated e-mail headed to the
mail server.  That way, IPv6 can be dynamically assigned IPs for things
like residential customers where that end user's IPv6 would never sent
mail directly to the recipient. Then, such a mail server could, for now,
ONLY accept mail for THOSE smtp-authenticated/IPv6 sessions, and
actually refuse non-authenticated IPv6 traffic. Such a server would then
relay out such mail via IPv4. 99.9% of the argument about hurrying up
IPv6 implementation for mail servers due to running out of IPv4 IPs are
solved by this scenario since there are thousands of dynamically
assigned IPs delegated to end users for every one legitimate mail server IP.

Not saying this is the answer for 100 years from now, but this scenario
scales well, too. When EVERYTHING is assigned an IPv6 IP (your car, your
refrigerator, etc)... those IPv6 IPs won't be prevented from sending
e-mail in the scenario I described above, even if mail servers haven't
yet moved into the IPv6 world.

--
Rob McEwen
http://dnsbl.invaluement.com/