Re: [Asrg] DNSBL and IPv6

2012-10-25 10:19:22
On 10/25/2012 10:48 AM, Emanuele Balla (aka Skull) wrote:
So you're basically suggesting that MXs should not allow any IPv6 SMTP
connection unless it's coming from a trusted entity, and only MSAs
should speak IPv6.

No. I'm talking about AUTHENTICATED e-mail that is, by design, NOT
considered the "sending IP" for that message. Maybe the "originate
IP"... but not the "sending IP". I'm not sure what you mean by "only
MSAs", this wouldn't prevent the use of IPv6 for OTHER uses. My answers
below should clear this up...

In other words, you're basically suggesting something like "do not
publish any AAAA record for your MXs and just rely on IPv4, unless you
found a solution to the IPv6 spam problem".

I think you must be greatly misunderstanding me. When millions of end
user customers for a large set up their outlook programs (or
thunderbird, or whatever)... their connection to their ISP's mail server
does NOT use MX records!!!! Instead, that connection goes DIRECTLY to
the "a" record of the server host name that the end user puts in the
"smtp server" box in their mail client. Furthermore, since this is all
happening within an ISP's IP space and to their own customers.. the ISP
has MUCH granularity of control... so, if needed, directing of traffic
can be manipulated somewhat by the ISP (again, if needed).

But this is not suggesting a solution anyway...

yes, this is a solution. Obviously NOT the final solution long term
solution... but this solves MANY problems in the meantime.

--
Rob McEwen
http://dnsbl.invaluement.com/