[ietf-clear] CSV in action

2004-10-11 14:24:44
Mark <admin(_at_)asarian-host(_dot_)net> wrote:
John Leslie wrote:
Mark <admin(_at_)asarian-host(_dot_)net> wrote:

Thanks for your reply. One thing still remains fuzzy to me. :) The FAQ has
the following section:

--------------------------------
mailhost        IN      A       199.201.159.9
                IN      PTR     _vouch._smtp.csv_vouch
_client._smtp.mailhost  SRV 1 2 0 mailhost

saying that mailhost.jlc.net is authorized as an SMTP client, and that the
list of IP addresses is not empty; and saying that the csv_vouch.jlc.net
reputation service will vouch for it. (Not surprisingly, csv_vouch.jlc.net
reports an "excellent" rating.)
--------------------------------

Indeed, "not surprisingly". I mean, what is the point of (being allowed to)
point to an reputation service of your own choice? Yea, of your own making
even? Then people will just do what you did: set up an extra record for
themselves, and give themselves a big A+.

   Accreditation services that have only one customer (rated A+) are not
likely to be widely respected. I regard them as harmless.

should not the receiving end decide/choose who they select to ascertain
your reputation?

   Absolutely!

   But when there are hunderds of services available, is it unreasonable
to allow the sending SMTP client to recommend one (or more)?

Ok, I set up the CSV record, so that "dig
_client._smtp.mail.asarian-host.net SRV" responds as follows:

----------------------------------
; <<>> DiG 8.4 <<>> _client._smtp.mail.asarian-host.net SRV
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 3
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      _client._smtp.mail.asarian-host.net, type = SRV, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
_client._smtp.mail.asarian-host.net.  1D IN SRV  1 2 0
mail.asarian-host.net.

Does that look about right to you?

   Yes.

   This is appropriate for any domain which doesn't (yet) have a reason
to recommend a particular accreditation service.

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>