[ietf-clear] CSV implementation for Exim 4.

2004-12-10 12:52:38
Dave Crocker <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com> wrote:
[John Leslie wrote:]
[Dave Crocker wrote:]

I am a simple user on an old-fashioned time-sharing machine. I run a
spamming smtp client on a machine run by a credible service that has
a good reputation.

Does not the above convention let me spam my own host?

Probably it does -- I hadn't though through it that far...

But what's the problem?

The sending SMTP client is localhost, meaning it's something under
your own control. (I would hope your machine has a good reputation...)

look back over my description.  i'm just a user.  it's not my machine.

   Sorry, my ISP viewpoint got in the way: I meant the owner when I said
"your".

and i could imagine that it is also a way to get the machine to do
open relaying of the spam to elsewhere.  (i'm stretching a bit, here,
but suspect it's feasible.)

   I don't think this could do anything I'd define as open relaying,
but YMMV...

But, to tell truth, I think it's far easier to deal with that by
blocking localhost access to port 25...

Simpler solution:  Don't build defaults into the spec, and especially
no default host id's or addresses.

   I don't think any of this belongs in the _spec_ -- it strikes me as
an implementation detail.

   I suspect there will be a number of implementations which need to
serve the full range of MTA configurations. Certainly in the configuration
we like to think of -- where submission is to a separate MSA -- this
kludge would not be appropriate. But in a simpleton configuration where
a single MTA must do all the functions, you may well need to bypass the
usual CSV checks for locally-submitted email.

   This seemed, at first blush, like a reasonable way.

   Does anything about this belong in Best Practices?

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>