[clear] Plan of Action for CSV?

2005-06-21 06:50:05
On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 11:30 -0400, John Leslie wrote:
   I don't want to argue what is "reasonable"; but I will point out that
if the same IP address is included in the target lists of incompatible
"weight" and "port", it's much less clear what "reasonable" might mean.
(And that quickly degenerates into flame-war potential if "compatible"
is taken to mean anything except "identical".)

I think it would be perfectly acceptable for the spec to declare that
the result is undefined in that case -- the implementation may match any
of the SRV records and give results according to the weight and port
fields of the record which happened to match. That isn't really a good
reason not to allow multiple records.

   (I shall try to remain reasonably neutral, asking questions to
clarify rather than expressing my doubts. But I do think we should
respect the opinions of folks actually _implementing_ CSV software.)

I implemented CSA in Exim's config language alone, using the available
query-style DNS lookups and regular expressions. I assure you it wasn't
hard to handle multiple SRV records even in that relatively limited
environment -- and it didn't occur to me that I should do otherwise.

--
dwmw2