[clear] Plan of Action for CSV?

2005-06-20 11:52:04
The address 'imladris.demon.co.uk' in particular couldn't be listed with
the others -- that ISP may change that address if/when the connection to
it switches from dialup to DSL, and I wouldn't want the duplication.

  I understand not wishing to duplicate this; but it seems to me you're
taking a far greater risk by trusting an external organization to
determine the basis for _your_ reputation. It doesn't strike me as a
good practice to do this.

Demon is a quaint English ISP that provides static IP addresses to its
dialup customers, so it's quite reasonable to use the address they
provide.

BUT we have to draw the line somewhere in regard to encoding complexities
of people's configurations into CSV data.  I understand that life can be
complicated, but that way lies the madness that is SPF.

My suggestion is that a domain can have one (1) CSV record that can
point to a single name that can have as many A and AAAA records as
needed, and there we draw the line.  If your life is more complex than
that, it's your problem to collect the data and update your record.
In Tony's case, I would suggest writing "remember to update my CSV
record" on a tag and tie it to the wire leading from his modem to the
phone jack so he'll see it when he unplugs the dialup and installs the
DSL.

R's,
John