Re: [ietf-dkim] Replay isn't the problem, spam is the problem

2005-08-09 09:41:09

On Aug 9, 2005, at 7:34 AM, Amir Herzberg wrote:

Douglas Otis wrote:
On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 01:17 +0200, Amir Herzberg wrote:

Here you break one of the better features of DKIM.  The ability to
change the recipient when forwarding the message.

I do not propose that DKIM should specificy receivers MUST discard messages received without replay protection (and recipient identification). I just propose we give recipients the ability to distinguish between messages with replay protection and recipient identification, and messages without these capabilities. So forwarding still works, but degrades the security of the message - to the level we have with DKIM without replay protection. What's the problem?

I imagine you are suggesting that the RFC2821 RCPT TO: be compared to the content of
the RFC2822 To:?

Assuming this could be made to work, then there would be no means to known when this mechanism would create a problem, as you claim this breaks forwarding. This would negatively impact the integrity of email delivery, and create serious support issues. Those that opt to disable this constraint would remain powerless at preventing a replay attack. Not a very good choice either way.

> The DKIM already includes a date header and a expiry option.

Why would a CRL not address a replay problem?

CRL is a mechanism to revoke certificates, how is it relevant?

From the perspective of maintaining one's reputation, having an ability to demonstrate a response to a complaint is important. If you receive a legitimate complaint, the problem should be made to stop. If using S/MIME, a CRL, or if using DKIM, the revocation- identifier mechanism, permits the domain to halt any abuse anywhere in transit, including replay abuse, that may be occurring. If abuse meets a sure and rapid response, this mode of abuse should be greatly discouraged. From a reputation standpoint, the offending domain would be able to demonstrate their cooperation.

How does one rate limit when a message can be copied and sent through
any server where the recipient can also be changed? I assume you want
to remove the feature where the recipient field can be changed.

No. A mail server can rate control the messages that it sends. It cannot control what happens to them later. So that caps the responsibility of the server, for reputation/accreditation/ compensation services. Recipients can still decide, of course, they are willing to accept messages without replay protection, possibly based on their source (e.g. a particular trusted, moderated mailing list).

Now we are back to maintaining white-lists for every possible account that may provide forwarding? As many of these domains that permit forwarding are large, white-listing would expose the recipient substantially. It seems you want to impose a restriction that is sure to make forwarding email practically impossible. I am also sure this will also reveal all those cases where the RCPT TO changes for other reasons.

-Doug