Re: [ietf-dkim] on the scope and necessity of threat analysis

2005-08-13 17:47:19
Keith Moore wrote:
You appear to be assuming that the same bad actors who are spamming today will be the ones who are spamming tomorrow. I am assuming that there is a much larger set of people/companies who would like to spam, but aren't doing much spamming now because under the current set of conditions so much spam is trashy. Those people want to "raise the bar" to discourage the current spammers in order to make it more acceptable for them to spam. These people don't believe the products they want to sell you are trashy, and they don't believe they have anything to hide. But they still want to fill up your inbox with messages that will get in the way of communications you want to participate in. Some of them even believe that they have a right to fill up your inbox with such messages.

And I have the right to put them on my blacklist and tell all
my friends. And I don't even need to guess where they are
since they'll be using a name binding rather than hiding behind
a zombie army.

Really, you said that it would make things *worse*. I must have
missed the quod erat demonstrandum.

There will be too many of them for a personal blacklist (or opt-out) to be an effective countermeasure, and some of them (not all) will frequently adopt new identities. Shared blacklists won't work because a significant fraction of the mail that they send will be seen as legitimate by their recipients.

Your comment was that authentication would make things worse.
Thus far you've only conjectured about things that spammers can and
often do _today_. What is the mechanism that makes things worse?

And I'm not even bothering with your bald claims about futility
of reputation.

A sufficiently large number of 'legitimate' advertisers can fill up your mailbox even more effectively than a small number of 'rogue' advertisers, even if most of the 'legitimate' advertisers make a reasonable effort to send the mail only to those they think want to receive it.

Those "legitimate" advertisers can do that today. Again, you
might be making an argument that the status quo is here to stay,
but you're not making an argument that things will be worse.

                Mike