Re: [ietf-dkim] on the scope and necessity of threat analysis

2005-08-13 17:04:44
Michael Thomas wrote:
Keith Moore wrote:

If then only bad actors we were concerned about were phishers then I'd agree. When we include spammers in the set of bad actors then the situation becomes less clear. Making it slightly more difficult for current bad actors to spam might well make spam considerably more attractive for a much larger group of bad actors who don't mind authenticating their spam.

I'm sorry, but I do not see how this follows at all. Spammers are
completely at liberty to identify themselves today. They don't
have to forge their addresses, so why don't they join the fun
today?

Many of them are doing so, which is why so many SPF messages are spam.

You appear to be assuming that the same bad actors who are spamming today will be the ones who are spamming tomorrow. I am assuming that there is a much larger set of people/companies who would like to spam, but aren't doing much spamming now because under the current set of conditions so much spam is trashy. Those people want to "raise the bar" to discourage the current spammers in order to make it more acceptable for them to spam. These people don't believe the products they want to sell you are trashy, and they don't believe they have anything to hide. But they still want to fill up your inbox with messages that will get in the way of communications you want to participate in. Some of them even believe that they have a right to fill up your inbox with such messages.

Keith