Re: [ietf-dkim] on the suitability of the From header field

2005-08-13 17:00:39
On August 13, 2005 at 15:27, Keith Moore wrote:

If end-users today are accustomed to thinking the message was sent by
RFC2822.From, they will need to be educated, and they may also need
better MUAs that make the distinction clear.  But I don't think most
end-users are this naive or incapable of understanding the difference.
Mailing lists, for example, do not follow this convention.  Nor do
forwarded messages.  Neither one of these seems to result in a great
deal of user confusion.

I believe most users believe the From indicates who authored the
message, with the secondary implication that the identity in the
rfc2822.from is also who sent it, and things like mailing lists
are viewed as just part of the tranmission of the message to end
recipients, with the ultimate sender denoted in the From.

We must remember, the bulk of email users are not versed in the
intricacies of email.  For example, many do not know about the
difference between envelope addresses and what they see in the To:
field.

Education is always nice, but I am not sure how effective it can be
if it is the lone tool to solve problems.  Spam could be stopped
if people were educated enough to stop responding to it.

--ewh