Re: [ietf-dkim] Not exactly not a threat analysis

2005-08-17 12:45:56
Look, it's not acceptable for DKIM to change the
semantics of From.  From can contain multiple
addresses, From can contain an address other
than that of the Originator, and if a Sender field
is present From has no implied relationship with
the party that originated the message. These
semantics are well-established and have been
in use for around 25 years.

Hark! My domain appears in the FROM header of an email message. That fact is either "ok" with me or it's not "ok" with me. I don't know how many more ways to say it - I don't care who "sent" the message. I don't care who "authored" the message. I don't care one whit who originated it, forwarded it, mailing-list'ed it, spam-filtered it, anti-virused it, boxed it, canned it, backed up over it with a truck, slept with it under a pillow, etc, etc, ad infinitum. NONE of this is relevant or even needs to be defined or even understood. It's so simple: If my domain appears in the FROM I have a right to say something about that. It doesn't matter who the "author" is, who the "sender" is, who the "originator" is, who your mother is, what your sisters name is, etc. How is this not immediately understandable and how does this not immediately slay the spectre of "figuring out who the sender/author/mother/grand-mother/sister-in-law" is of a message?

I've got to be overlooking something fundamental not to be in agreement with everyone else on this topic. I really need some help.

--
Arvel