Re: [ietf-dkim] Not exactly not a threat analysis

2005-08-23 20:46:53
--- Earl Hood <earl(_at_)earlhood(_dot_)com> wrote:

Any "accountability" should be explicitly defined.

In the negative sense, let me suggest that an accountable entity is one who can
best stop the traffic
if you don't want it.

If we take a leap of faith that what you don't want is the content, then maybe
the accountable entity is the one that creates the content rather than a player
who is merely part of the process of delivering it to your mailbox - under your
instructions?

So you are saying that organizations like CPAN, SourceForge, Savannah,
college alumni, et. al., will now have to spend resources dealing
with abuse complaints and the other things that come with signing
DKIM messages?  Even if these entities do not originate the messages
themselves, but just function as a "hop" during transmission?

That would be my inclination. Does your secondary MX handle complaints from
your primary MX? What about your MX hosting service that arbitrarily forwards
all mail for your domain to a nominated ISP mailbox?

To me it's like call-forwarding on your phone. If you get a phone call you
don't want, are you going to blame your call-forwarding service for doing the
job you asked them to do?

Mark.