Re: [ietf-dkim] Not exactly not a threat analysis

2005-08-23 22:11:41
Earl Hood wrote:

On August 23, 2005 at 13:53, Jim Fenton wrote:

This goes to what we have been very generically calling first-party and third-party signatures. The original submission of a message would normally result in a first-party signature from the supposed author's domain. A mailing list would apply a third-party signature, which can be distinguished by the fact that i= does not match the originator's address.

I think this is a weak inference.

I'm not sure it is safe to infer that a "first-party" signature can
be adequately represented by the i= matching the OA.  First, i= does
not have to be complete mailbox specification, so all you have to go
by is the domain portion.
My personal preference has been and is to have a full i= specification whenever possible; if it were up to me, I would probably turn around the wording and say that the local-part is required unless the signing domain is unable or unwilling to commit to a specific address. If the local part of i= is missing, you just need to assume that it matches any address in the domain; there is a small exposure if a third-party signature is applied by the same domain.

Then, what about service relationships where the author/sending
party is of one domain, but submit all mail through another domain
(due to a service agreement between the two parties)?

In order to satisfy the first-party aspects of the signature,
the mail service domain would have to make sure that the i= and d=
match the OA's domain, and that the OA domain defines the correct
DNS records (which the mail service domain may not have the ability
to do directly) to support signature validation.  This makes key
management a problem since the mail domain will own the private key,
but not have the direct ability to publish the public key.
Assuming we're talking about DNS key publication, the OA domain could just delegate its _domainkey subdomain to the mail domain, which would give it the ability to directly publish the public key. Otherwise, the mail domain would need to tell the OA domain the keys to publish.

If there are multiple mail domains, this can be accommodated through the use of dotted selectors: the OA domain delegates subdomains of their _domainkey space (e.g., mailservice1._domainkey.example.com) and the mailing service uses keys with selector names like alpha.mailservice1 to sign. The OA domain needs to bear in mind that any such delegation gives authority to sign for any address in the domain, so it must be done judiciously.

Wrt key management, if the OA domain has the ability specify who is
allowed to perform "first-party" signatures (like through the SSP
record), the mail service domain can handle all the key management
issues without having to coordinate with the OA domain.  This can be
a problem if keys are rotated on a frequent basis.  SSP records will
be more stable, so OA coordination is not as involved.
It would be nice to be able to avoid the second SSP lookup, and I'm also concerned with the scalability of this to many mailing domains. I recall a statistic that Bank of America employs something like 128 different outside services to send mail on its behalf; I don't think you want the SSP record enumerating those (it won't fit in a UDP DNS lookup, for starters).

BTW, a good reason for the local-part on i= is that it if the original purported author and the mailing list are in the same domain, it's still possible for the list to apply a signature and not have it look like a first-party signature.

Are you saying for a signature to be "first-party" the i= must
of a complete mailbox address value?
Either that or the local-part of the mailbox address isn't checked (i.e., matches anything) if the local-part of i= is blank. I don't think the spec is explicit on that point. But in that case, there is an undesirable possibility that a third party signature could be interpreted as first-party if someone spoofs a From address in the third-party's domain.

-Jim