Re: [ietf-dkim] Charter bashing...

2005-10-11 23:06:31
John Levine wrote:

 ? supporting multiple signatures on single messages

This is a chronically contentious point.

PRO: Relays can re-sign to show the path that a message took.  Lists
and forwarders can re-sign so a message has both the original sender's
sig and the list or forwarder's sig.

CON: If you sign it, you take responsibility for it, recipients
shouldn't care how it got to you.  Multiple signatures are fragile
when transiting list managers that may modify the subject and body (a
topic debated at length with IIM.)  If a message has both a good sig
and a bad sig, semamtics are not clear.
My view is that a bad signature is equivalent to no signature since an attacker could easily create a signature that doesn't verify (so you shouldn't treat it any better) and something in the mail path could break the signature (so you shouldn't treat it any worse).

My inclination is to waffle, to permit multiple signatures but not to
encourage them and not to try to specify the semantics.  They don't
seem very useful to me, but they also don't seem so clearly useless
that I would want to outlaw them.
Agreed; at the very least they shouldn't be declared out of scope by the charter because there is substantial support for considering possible use of multiple signatures.

-Jim