Re: [ietf-dkim] Charter bashing...

2005-10-12 02:13:00
Arvel Hathcock wrote:
? supporting multiple signatures on single messages

Humm... not sure about this one. If verifiers only supported a single signature it would be wise for signers to strip out any existing signatures before re-signing. That would cause the loss of "potentially" useful data wouldn't it? But, come to think of it, old signatures don't verify (otherwise, why resign the message at all)
There may be cases where an intermediary (e.g. MTA or mailing list) which DKIM-signs its outgoing messages, will receive a DKIM-signed message, e.g. if the MUA signed it (for MTA), or if the sending domain signed it (for mailing list). In some of these cases, the original signature may still provide additional useful information for the recipient. Why should we exclude this? The only good answer I see if simplicity, but I think determining that the complexity/functionality tradeoff justifies excluding this should not be done at the chartering phase, and requires fair evaluation.
--
Best regards,

Amir Herzberg

Associate Professor