Re: [ietf-dkim] Charter bashing...

2005-10-12 15:06:42

There was a great deal of contention regarding what DKIM was attempting to achieve at the Paris BOF.

there was? there was a great deal of contention about how to run the meeting, but serious debate about the 'purpose' of debate -- enough debate to justify your assessment -- was entirely lacking, from my own memory of it.

Nor does the current charter reduce this confusion. There are aspects within this charter that remain misleading, such as suggesting the mechanism is to solve header forgery.
All documents can be improved. What is significant, here, is that the previous charter went through extensive review and revision. It therefore make sense to consider charter text in terms of surgical revisions. You want to suggest specific text changes, that's fine. But it cannot possibly be productive to have (yet another) sequence of wandering through the weeds of general charter criticism.

We achieved quite-good rough consensus on the previous text. Let's try not to lose it.

d/