Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: DKIM BOF -- draft charter and agenda

2005-10-14 14:03:36
Time for the next pass, after input from several of you, on and off the
list, and input from Russ as well.  The attached version covers pretty
much everything, and I think we might be done with the charter now.
Can we close on this, and work up an agenda for the BOF?

What you have looks fine to me. I note that Dave has suggested smushing
together the first to paragraphs to form a workable "abstract"; it's a tad
too long but I can live with it.

The only significant comment that I think I haven't done anything about
is from Ned: you suggested including words about canonicalization and
hashing, along with those about public-key crypto.  I decided that the
reference to p-k crypto is sufficient to specify the mechanism in the
charter (distinguishing it, for instance, from looking at IP addresses,
or the Farmer's Almanac), and that getting into "we canonicalize the
message, take a hash of that, digitally sign that, put the result into
the header..." is really what the spec is for.  So I left that as it
was.  If you *really* think mentioning c<237>n and hashing is very
important for the charter, please bring it up again.

I certainly have no problem with omitting it.

                                Ned