Re: [ietf-dkim] Admilistrivia question

2005-10-18 01:38:43

----- Original Message -----
From: "william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net>

I noticed that when I receive replies to the posts made on this list,
they come directly from whoever replied, but I seem to not receive
typical extra copy from the email from mail list itself. Is this true
of how this list is configured?

Yes. Some list servers will force a Reply-To: header in the distribution to
point to the mailing list address.

This is done for MUA ergonomic reasons because the natural human action to
click the reply button, the Email-Thinking MUA will naturally will use the

The user has to beware that he might have to "Reply To ALL" to obtain the
mailing list address. In this case, unless there cleans up the address
fields, we now have multiple copies - direct + mailing list.

To resolve this, the list server may  add/change the Reply-To: to the
mailing list address.

Keeping it DKIM related - this is yet another reason why List Server authors
may punt on DKIM or may be force to STRIP and REPLACE a signature.