Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: is this a problem or not?

2005-10-31 10:10:47
On October 31, 2005 at 12:41, Scott Kitterman wrote:

For some businesses (like the mybank example that has been raised),
such restrictions are desirable, and probably justifiable.  But if
ISPs and other email service providers adopt EXCLUSIVE policies...

They will either explain the reasoning well enough that their customers will
be willing to live with the restrictions or their business will go elsewhere
(in the case of ISPs it may mean users cease using ISP provided mail and find
their own 3rd party provider - even if a user can't immediately switch to a
new ISP, it certainly lowers the perceived value of the product).

As I noted in a previous message, switching can be very costly
for many.  A provider may realize that many users have an existing
vested investment in the provider's services, making any switch by
the users costly.  Therefore, the provider can change their policies
knowing that many users will still stay with them, even if they are
not happy with changes.

I think all of us can think of real-world cases where such business
practices have been exercised.

BTW, I am not saying that such an event is inevitable.  However,
it is a risk to current email operations if DKIM (as it is currently
defined) is widely deployed.

--ewh